Woongarrah and Killarney met at Hamlyn Terrace in what was billed as the match of the weekend in the Battlewin Premier League. The Wildcats returned home for just the second time this season after a string of away matches on the back of a big defeat to Southern and Ettalong United last weekend, going down 6-2.

It was Killarney who were to start the brighter of the sides in this contest, opening the scoring in the 13th minute after a Tim Knight shot was fumbled by Wildcats keeper Matt Wilson, with the rebound falling to Daniel Rodger who netted his sixth of the campaign. After grabbing the first, the Terriers went in hunt of a second only minutes later as Matt Hall found himself in some space down the left however Woongarrah recovered well to see his effort scrambled behind for a corner. The ‘Cats began to grow into the match as the first half progressed, and on the 40-minute mark they almost found themselves back level after the ball was squared to find Ashley Henderson in the six-yard box. As Henderson looked to finish, he was collected heavily by a Terriers defender with the ball ballooning onto the roof of the net rather than in with the referee waving away shouts for a penalty.

The sides emerged from the sheds for the second half and again it was the Terriers who looked the more threatening. First-half goal scorer Daniel Rodger had a chance to double his side’s lead four minutes into the half as he got free on the left side of the penalty area, with his shot drawing a smart stop from Wilson in the Woongarrah goal. The Terriers were, however, to find the elusive second goal of the match in the 61st minute as midfielder Daniel Moffett was slipped through down the left before squaring up and finishing confidently past Wilson to double their lead. Similarly to the first half, the Terriers almost added a third minutes after finding the net for their second, with Daniel Rodger and Tim Knight linking up well down the left. Rodger held the ball up well before finding Knight who found some space to cut the ball back to the on-rushing Rodger, with his finish cleared off the line by the ‘Cats. The Terriers did find the third and final goal of the contest in the 89th minute to all but seal the three points as second-half substitute Brendan Hall found a pocket of space on the edge of the penalty area, managing to get the ball out from under his feet before rifling a shot low and hard into the bottom right corner.

Woongarrah will be on the road next week (against East Gosford at Hylton Moore) before a string of five home matches